Thursday 27 February 2014

Last Light part 2

Last month I shared a post entitled 'Last Light'. It was quite an emotive piece, written just after the tragic loss of four airmen in a helicopter accident at Cley-Next-The-Sea. I felt the photograph summed up my feelings and the mood of the coast on that chill January evening pretty well. You can access the post here.

Visiting the site at Burnham Overy Staithe some six weeks later revealed a completely different side to this sleepy little hamlet. Gone were the somber colours and cold Westerly winds, replaced now by beautiful oranges, dazzling yellows and bird song floating on a warm, gentle early Spring breeze. The sunset this time was fantastic and I knew I would have to let the sun sink towards the horizon if I were to expose the scene correctly. A three stop ND filter just about held back the powerful low sun and the resulting image conveys a sense of peace, tranquility and a certain warmth. Something that was definitely missing during the dark days of January.

Sunset at Burnham Overy Staithe photographed with a Nikon D4
Sunset at Burnham Overy Staithe

No comments:

Post a Comment