Monday 10 February 2014

Lobster Pots

Brancaster Staithe is only about ten miles or so from my base in Wells-Next-The-Sea and it's a delightful drive along a narrow and twisty coastal road, with beautiful views offered at every turn. I had visited the little hamlet previously on a couple of occasions and the light had been flat both times, no matter how lovely the place looked there just wasn't a shot to be had. My latest visit however gave promise to much better weather. A nice calm evening with lovely warm pink tones to the sky and a few interesting subjects to capture. You can't really photograph coastal images without at least one of them containing lobster pots. I stumbled upon this lovely little scene crammed with pots, buckets, a boat and a discarded tyre acting as an anchor. The way everything was positioned led the eye nicely to the creek beyond and the lovely warm twilight sky. It was a simple shot with the Nikon D4 and Nikkor 24-70mm F2.8, utilising a tripod, mirror lock up and cable release. I used a 3 stop ND grad filter to hold back the sky while exposing for the foreground. Reviewing the image on the back of the camera left me a bit non plussed and I very nearly deleted it there and then. It was only when I got back home and downloaded the image onto the computer that I realised how much I actually liked it. I find it quite calming and now I can finally relax... I've eventually captured the lobster pot shot.  

Lobster Pots at Brancaster Staithe. Shot with a Nikon D4 and Nikkor 24-70mm F2.8
Lobster Pots

No comments:

Post a Comment