Thursday 28 November 2013

Autumn Colours

The trees are really showing off at the moment, so much colour on the leaves as the sun beats down, turning them a fiery orange and red. I had a wander around my local wood yesterday and it was truly magical. Quite cold but not a breath of wind so everything was still and quiet. I took with me my Fuji X100 and a little film SLR which is going to be the subject of my next '12 months of film' blog post. I love shooting with the Fuji as it's so unobtrusive and it really encourages me to snap away. It's once you get the images back home though and start to browse through them that you realise what an amazing sensor it uses. Images are fantastic, sharp, clean and full of detail. I quite often shoot up to ISO 3200 and have no issues with noise from the captured files. Dynamic range is also top notch. Just check the fifth image in this sequence. Shot straight towards the sun with much of the image in shade, I was easily able to recover the blown highlights and lift the shadow areas of the raw file without any degradation of the image. If I'm carrying all my kit I normally set up a camera on tripod and bracket a set of 5 or more images with values anywhere from -3 E.V. to +3 E.V. and then merge them in Photoshop. But being able to capture pretty much the entire dynamic range of the image in just the one photograph is a real bonus. It means I can travel light and still not worry about missing a shot because of tricky lighting conditions.                                                                                                                              

Autumn Leaves deep in the heart of Lincolnshire
Fiery Orange leaves and a low sun make for beautiful contrasty images.

Colourful leaves in Roughton Moor Woods
Roughton Moor Woods full of colour

Golden coloured leaves and a low sun
Beautiful golden patterns

Autumn leaves against a clear blue sky
Burning bright against a cold blue sky

Fuji X100 high dynamic range
Great dynamic range from the Fuji X100 sensor

The awesome Fuji X100
Fuji X100

The X100 is now rocking the latest version 2.0 firmware which was released from Fuji about 6 weeks ago. It's made a classic camera even better and although stocks are now extremely low as it's been superseded by the X100s, there are still a few available if you have a search on the internet. And for about half the price of the newer model it's an absolute bargain.

No comments:

Post a Comment