Wednesday 13 November 2013

Details

When I first starting taking pictures of the rings at wedding shoots, I invariably took the standard shot of a best man holding them either in the palm of his hands or in their boxes. Nothing particularly wrong with it, just not that inspiring. I had a look around the internet to see if I could come up with a few new ideas and to generally find a bit of inspiration. I noticed that a lot of other photographers would take the rings and place them in a setting that would mean something to the bride and groom. That could be any number of things really, it just depends on the individual couple. I had noticed at a wedding I was shooting at in August that the bride had gone to a lot of trouble producing the many table decorations and mini flower displays that were dotted around the reception room. One particular bouquet took my eye, it was fairly simple, beautiful and fitted my needs exactly. I asked if I could borrow the two rings for a few minutes and placed them within the centre of one of the flowers in the bouquet. I think that with these type of shot, it's important not to include any clutter. It wants to be a simple image, making sure the rings are the main focus. The image was taken into Photoshop where levels were tweaked and a subtle texture added. I think the power of the image lies in it's simplicity and I now frequently use this technique on the couple's big day.

Wedding rings photographed with Nikon D3s
Nikon D3s with Nikkor 24-70mm F2.8
 I try to use natural light with these still life images where I can. I feel that it gives them a somewhat soft quality with pastel colouring, an almost delicate feel. Why not give it a try on your next shoot.

Thank you very much for spending the time to look at my blog. I'm passionate about all things camera related and would greatly appreciate it if you took the time to look at some of the ads on my page. They're related to the stuff I blog about and you may find some great deals. I use a number of companies which advertise on my site when purchasing gear, and find them all to be fantastic, reliable with quick delivery.

No comments:

Post a Comment