Thursday 19 September 2013

Shooting Chinese New Year celebrations with the Nikon D3s

I have mentioned in previous blog posts the differences I noticed straight away when shooting with the Nikon D3s and the D4 compared to the older Nikon D200. As well as the fairly obvious ISO advantages that the newer bodies have over the older model, it was the overall alertness and snappy response of the new cameras that probably amazed me the most. They seemed to have the uncanny ability to be one step ahead of me, able to track a fast moving object with ease and when the shutter button was pressed, capture the moment perfectly. My first real test with the Nikon D3s was a Chinese New Year celebration in February of 2012. I was learning how to handle and use the big pro body and this was a great event to attend, plenty of colour, a plentiful audience and some fast moving subjects all vying for mine and the Nikon's attention. It was a very cold day, not much above freezing so jumping around was as good a way to keep warm as any other, and boy, did the dancers jump. The Nikon didn't miss a trick however, tracking the movement with ease and capturing frame after frame of perfectly exposed, tack sharp images. As I said, this was a test shoot, so I wasn't trying to be particularly arty, just seeing what the camera could do, and I sure wasn't disappointed. I coupled the body with the superb Nikkor 24-70 mm F2.8 lens, a fantastic workhorse that is always in my camera bag, and one that I would highly recommend if you can stomach the price tag. It's sharp, even when wide open at F2.8, fast to focus, and built to the highest standards that you come to expect from Nikon.

A young child is confronted by Lion dancers during the 2012 New Year celebrations.
Nikon D3s with Nikkor 24-70 mm F2.8. ISO 800, 1/640 sec @ F3.5 
  
Close up of Chinese Dragon. Nikon D3s with Nikkor 24-70mm F2.8. ISO 800, 1/640 sec at F4 

Close up of Chinese lanterns. Nikon D3s with Nikkor 24-70mm F2.8. ISO 800, 1/400 sec at F4.5 

No comments:

Post a Comment