Wednesday 17 July 2013

Shortlisted for the British Wildlife Photography Awards 2013


I was delighted to have been informed that my image ' Roughton Moor Woods ' was shortlisted for the prestigious British Wildlife Photography Awards 2013. This image is one that means a great deal to me as I've been the voluntary Reserve Manager for this Lincolnshire Wildlife Trust site since 2001 and have become very fond of it, so to have the photograph recognised on an international level is fantastic.

My duties as Reserve Manager include making sure the paths and walkways are clear from debris and that any litter is cleared away. I also have to record the flora and fauna of the wood and send in an annual report to the Trust where they can monitor any changes that may have occurred over the year and act accordingly.

The wood is very quiet most of the time and is a lovely place to be if you want a bit of solitude. During the summer months the light can be a bit harsh, and taking a decent photograph can be a challenge. The best time to take a lovely image is during the darker months when days grow shorter and the leaves start to change colour. The light is a lot softer at this time of year and it can scatter in a multitude of directions as the sun's rays hit a thousand and one branches and the tangles of hawthorn and bramble. This particular image was taken during the morning of a cold and frosty December's day, and I knew the conditions were just right. No wind, plenty of mist and a low piercing sun trying to puncture through the gloom. I set up the camera and tripod after carefully considering the composition, and using a trigger release took the image you see here. I have just been informed that it has finished within the top 300 of all images submitted during the 2013 competition and just missed out on making it in to the annual book and national photographic tour. Out of a total of 25,000 images entered, I'm really rather chuffed.

Roughton Moor Wood - Nikon D3s with Nikkor 24-70mm F2.8
Roughton Moor Wood - Nikon D3s with Nikkor 24-70mm F2.8  

Thank you very much for spending the time to look at my blog. I'm passionate about all things camera related and would greatly appreciate it if you took the time to look at some of the ads on my page. They're related to the stuff I blog about and you may find some great deals. I use a number of companies which advertise on my site when purchasing gear, and find them all to be fantastic, reliable with quick delivery.

No comments:

Post a Comment