Tuesday 23 July 2013

Portraits with C&G Photography

One of my favourite areas of shooting with C&G Photography is the portrait shoots we do, whether as a stand alone portrait session or as part of a wedding package. I like to spend a few minutes with the bride and close family, giving me the opportunity to capture lovely head and shoulder shots that they will all be able to treasure for many years to come. I have developed my own particular style over the years and am now very happy with the techniques I use. For me it's all about capturing natural expressions, utilising natural light, and shallow depth of field. I make sure these types of close-up portraits are taken after the subject has become at ease with the camera, as I believe this makes a huge difference to the final photograph. I sometimes use a diffuser to soften the light and mainly shoot with my Sigma 50mm F1.4 at an aperture of F2 - F2.8. This gives a very shallow depth of field and helps avoid unwanted distractions in the background. I also like to shoot from slightly above the subject as I feel this creates a slightly more dynamic image. The Nikon D200 is great for these particular types of shot as it gives me slightly more reach than the FX models, and doesn't intimidate the subject quite as much, as I'm not so close.


Nikon D200 with Sigma 50mm F1.4

Nikon D200 with Sigma 50mm F1.4


 For images that include more of the subject, either head and torso or full body, I usually shoot with the Nikon D3s or D4 coupled with the Nikkor 24-70mm F2.8 or Nikkor 70-200mm F2.8. Reflectors and off camera flash are used to add supplementary light where required.  


Nikon D3s with Nikkor 24-70mm F2.8


Nikon D3s with Nikkor 24-70mm F2.8

No comments:

Post a Comment