Monday 16 June 2014

Photogenic Ladybird

Ladybirds always make such good photographic subjects, and this little chap in the image below was no exception. I spotted him/her while walking along the beach road at Wells-Next-The-Sea, admiring the beautiful Viper's Bugloss which is in full flower at this time of the year, lining great stretches of the mile long seaside path. It's one of my favourite wild flowers, the purple-blue petals glowing like little neon signs against the stark, bleached sandy soil of the coastal landscape.

Hand holding my Nikkor 105mm F2.8 macro lens coupled with a Nikon D90, vibration reduction (V.R.) on, I was able to select a wide enough aperture to throw any distracting background foliage into a dreamy blur while holding the subject in sharp focus. The red of the Ladybird contrasts nicely against the blue of the flower, something I really love. I wasn't expecting to get a shot like this on the day, but it just goes to show, you should always keep a camera by your side, you never know what you might stumble across.

Ladybird on Viper's Bugloss, Nikon D90 with Nikkor 105mm F2.8 macro lens
Ladybird on Viper's Bugloss



No comments:

Post a Comment