Friday 23 May 2014

Shooting with the Fuji X-T1

I've had the Fuji X-T1 for a few weeks now and I'm really starting to get to know it. Such a powerful little camera and the more I use it the more I fall for its many charms. From the exquisitely solid build, retro styling and of course incredible image quality, it's starting to make me seriously consider whether I need to carry around large and heavy DSLR's for the majority of my shoots.

I've been playing with the many film preset jpegs of late, jpegs not being my format of choice as I normally shoot RAW. I still shoot RAW with the Fuji but I also now select one of the jpeg settings along with it, giving me the best of both Worlds. What I really love about the X-T1 files, (and all other X cameras for that matter) is the lovely filmic quality the recorded files tend to have. I have chosen to shoot in B&W jpeg and the results have been fantastic, straight from the camera. Contrasty, bags of detail and moody to boot. Ooh, I can't wait for my next wedding shoot.

Old Cemetery shooting with the Fuji X-T1
Old Cemetery.

Sunlit and Shadows photographed with the Fuji X-T1
Sunlight and Shadows

One of the things I really love about the X-T1 is the Electronic View Finder (EVF). It allows me to see the exposure as the camera sensor will capture it, which can be a massive help when facing tricky light situations. Changing the exposure compensation dial on the top plate of the camera quickly allows me to assess the scene and helps me select the exposure I desire. It really can be a life saver if you're having to work quickly in difficult conditions were time is of the essence.

Decaying Pipe photographed with a Fuji X-T1
Decaying Pipe

No comments:

Post a Comment