Thursday 5 December 2013

Natalie Gail

Landscape photography can be very frustrating at times. You seem to be waiting an eternity for the weather conditions to become just right and all the elements to gel together. When they finally do you run round like a loon trying to capture as many beautiful images as you possibly can which is surely a recipe for disaster. I have found through experience that taking your time when planning the shot will help enormously when it comes to capturing that special moment. I recce places days beforehand even if the weather is foul as I can sometimes create a composition in my head or check where the sun will be at a certain time of day. I have found that even if conditions have changed since a previous visit I will still have a good understanding of a place and its mood. This can be vital if you only have a few minutes to capture the shot on the day.

Natalie Gail at Wells-Next-The-Sea photographed with a #Nikon D4
Natalie Gail during low tide at Wells-Next-The-Sea

This image of 'Natalie Gail is a case in point. I knew the location well, knew where the sun would be at the time I wanted to shoot and had checked the tide times days in advance. The shot I had in my head required for the tide to be out and the boat to be marooned. I arrived a good 30 minutes before this shot was taken, set up the camera on a tripod and finessed the composition. By the time I was ready to shoot the sun was in the perfect position, just catching the side of the boat and its hull, a lovely reflection in the water. There wasn't a breath of wind and the fog was starting to roll in, the way it tumbles across the image from right to left adds a real sense of mystery and depth. The pair of geese that by happy accident had just landed beside the boat add a neat final touch to the image.

This is the sort of view that is often seen during quiet sun filled days in the depths of Winter on the North Norfolk Coast and being in the right place at the right time allowed me to capture it.   

No comments:

Post a Comment