Wednesday 16 October 2013

Fuji X100 in the pocket

One of the things I really love about the Fuji X100 is the fact that it is so small in comparison to a DSLR, even a non battery gripped model like the Nikon D200. The D200 looks massive when set down next to the Fuji and it's for this reason that sometimes I leave my bigger, heavier gear behind and travel light with just the X100 and possibly an old film SLR. This allows me to use a small shoulder bag or pocket instead of my big Lo Pro bag that is used when I shoot at a wedding gig. The real beauty of travelling so light is that you feel less fatigued after a long morning or afternoons walk and you are less likely to bump into people with a much smaller bag. I quite often forget how wide I am with the Lo Pro rucksack on and my girlfriend has to continually remind me to be careful when in crowded places. The fact that the bag weighs well over 30lbs fully loaded means that it can do quite a bit of damage as it's swung round at pace.

The thing is, I don't feel that I'm compromising on image quality when shooting with the X100. The sensor is truly astonishing, producing beautifully detailed images that rival a DSLR. I shoot raw and the files that the Fuji produces are fantastic. Loads of information stored within each one and the dynamic range is superb, allowing me to capture both foreground and background/sky detail. I prefer to shoot using filters with my Nikon cameras when photographing landscapes which may have a high dynamic range, but as I travel light with the Fuji I don't have that option.  I expose for the foreground, making sure I have that spot on, and then recover any lost detail in the sky in the raw editor. I make sure that I don't overexpose the sky by much, just clipping slightly to the right of the histogram seems to work, ( a technique known as exposing to the right). The lens on the front of the X100 has an equivalent 35mm focal length, perfect for landscapes, and it's super sharp. It's even pretty good wide open at F2.0, and because it's ISO performance is good, you can shoot with this camera in pretty dark conditions. I tend to set a ceiling of ISO 3200, and at this value images are very clean, retaining a lot of detail and accurate colours. Any distracting noise can easily be cleaned up in post if necessary.

It truly is an amazing little machine. I was hesitant initially before purchasing it, thinking to myself, will I really use this alongside my Nikon D4, D3s and D200? Well the answer as you may have gathered is a resounding yes. Not only do I use it alongside the Nikon bodies, I sometimes use it on it's own, leaving the big boys behind. Sometimes it encourages me to go out for a walk snapping away at things I just wouldn't have even dreamt of before I purchased it. Wow, a camera that actively makes you want to get out there and take some images. Now that's something pretty special, a truly fantastic little camera.

Tranquil Harbour at Wells-Next-The-Sea, photographed with the Fuji X100

Colourful ropes. Fuji X100 with fill flash.

    Thank you very much for spending the time to look at my blog. I'm passionate about all things camera related and would greatly appreciate it if you took the time to look at some of the ads on my page. They're related to the stuff I blog about and you may find some great deals. I use a number of companies which advertise on my site when purchasing gear, and find them all to be fantastic, reliable with quick delivery.

No comments:

Post a Comment