Monday 14 October 2013

Details

I love to photograph details at weddings, especially if the bride has spent time making her own decorations for the big day. The sort of details i'm referring to are the ones which adorn the tables at the reception, the ones that really make the wedding truly unique and personal. I find that getting in close and about the same height to the item I want to photograph is a great way of giving the bride and groom lovely memories of the beautiful details created, and all the hard work they will have put in before the big day.

Nikon D3s with Nikkor 24-70mm F2.8, ISO 1600, F5.6 @ 1/400 sec

When photographing these objects I use a wide aperture which helps create a shallow depth of field and ensures that the viewers gaze is directed to exactly where I want it, without any distracting background. Occasionally I may be required to move an object slightly. If this is the case I'm sure to use the utmost care to avoid any potential disaster. I certainly wouldn't want to accidentally knock over the wedding cake, what an absolute nightmare that would be. Once finished, I make sure everything is placed back to where it was originally. I've found through experience that if the tables and decorations are in place first thing in the morning, which sometimes happens, then this is a good time to take the shots. It will be quiet and I'll have free reign to shoot however I wish, before the ensuing madness that will come later in the day. This is where two shooters can really be of benefit. If time is tight, one of us can be photographing the bridal prep while the other is working in the reception room, capturing the lovely details and beautiful table decorations which are such an important part of the wedding album.

Nikon D3s with Nikkor 24-70mm F2.8, ISO 1600, F5.6 @ 1/640 sec


Nikon D700 with Sigma 24-70mm F2.8, ISO 400, F4.0 @ 1/500 sec

No comments:

Post a Comment