Wednesday 11 February 2015

'Shinny'

It's been a bit tricky finding the time to get out with the camera at present, the new shop taking up much of it. But I managed to find a spare hour the other day, so went for a stroll along the quay at Wells. It was raw, the wind whipping straight off the North sea, and the four layers I had thrown on were barely enough. I am always amazed at just how tough the flora and fauna is at this time of year. Not just along the coastline, but anywhere that's gripped for months by cold, wet weather. You can't help but marvel at the strength and sheer will to survive, that is shown by the many birds, mammals and plants that have to brave such elements. As I was clapping my hands, struggling in vain to get some heat into them, I couldn't help but notice the thousands of Brent geese, happily going about their business, feeding along the shore line as the tide was out. In the distance, the large, imposing clouds were turning an orangey colour, as a snow storm approached. I was looking for a suitable composition where a small boat was to take centre stage, framed by the fiery sky. Unfortunately, things don't always go to plan. For one, high tide changes by approximately half an hour each day, and for this particular shot to work as I had envisaged. I would have needed to be here about one and a half hours later, when too dark, or three or so days earlier, when I was preoccupied with the shop. I wanted to show the water swirling around the boat, just before it was picked up by the incoming high tide. A longer exposure would have provided the effect I was looking for, and with the clouds scudding across the sky, the final captured image could have looked quite dramatic. Alas, it wasn't to be. The filters stayed in the bag and the tripod wasn't needed. All I had to show for my endeavours on a frigid day on the Norfolk coast, when I lost all feeling in my hands, was a quick handheld snap of a tiny boat called Shinny, and an increased, massive respect, for the wildlife that calls this place home.

Shinny, captured with a Fuji X-T1 and 10-24mm lens
Shinny

No comments:

Post a Comment