Friday 21 June 2013

Where the Fairies live

A place I'm very fond of and a place close to my heart. I've spent many an hour wandering along it's serpentine paths, not knowing who or what I may bump in to next. Someone walking their dog, an adder basking at the side of the trail, or a fox cub playing in the dappled sunlight with not a care in the World. This is Roughton Moor wood on the outskirts of Woodhall Spa in Lincolnshire. It's small, little more than 13 acres, but full of life, from the tiniest insect to large mammals like Muntjac deer. I've been the reserve manager of this site for many years, and it's my job to make sure the paths are clear and there are no hazards for people to encounter whilst visiting. The Lincolnshire Wildlife Trust who own this wood ask me to record certain flora and fauna numbers each year and to report back with my findings. It's heartening to know that less common fauna like Slow worm and Adder aren't just surviving, but seem to be increasing in number.

The wood takes on an otherworldly feel during the short Winter months, as the deciduous trees shed their leaves and the mist hangs heavy amongst the skeletal branches. It's during this time of year that my mind races as I imagine what else may be hiding away amongst the thick brambles and many cold deep dykes that criss cross through the wood. I just wonder.....

Nikon D3s with Nikkor 24-70mm F2.8. ISO 200, F13 @ 1/25sec. Tripod and cable release.

No comments:

Post a Comment