Tuesday 25 June 2013

Big Moon...?

Nikon D4 with Nikkor 70-200mm F2.8. ISO 400, 1.6sec @ F8. Tripod and timer.

There had been much talk about the big moon that all parts of the U.K. would be fortunate to see in late June. 'Super moon', 'biggest moon for over a year', 'not another one like it until August 2014' people were saying. Well, let's not forget where we live. The British Isles. Whenever you want to do something outside in this Country, a walk in the park, a picnic in the country maybe, a visit to the zoo perhaps, the U.K.'s weather will always try its best to ruin it for you. Hence the final outcome to the picture above. I was stood in the field, camera on tripod, composition carefully arranged, Google sky app displayed on my phone. I knew where the moon was rising exactly, to the leaf. But no. The cloud rolled in. I'm sure the moon did rise, just like it normally does, but unless you were 10000 feet up, you just weren't going to be lucky enough to see it. I stood there, in the middle of the field for about 30 minutes, and I have to admit that it was a lovely place to be, moon or no moon. The problem was that with such an uninspiring sky and me stood in the middle of said field, I was probably starting to look a tad suspicious. Cue the farmer turning up and asking if I was having a nice evening. I replied that apart from being eaten alive, I'd been having a somewhat enjoyable time, and if he was wondering why I was stood in the middle of a field, possibly his field, as it was getting dark, it was because I was trying to photograph the big moon. He seemed happy with my story, wished me luck and said his goodbyes. As he strolled off, he turned to me and said, 'should have been here Saturday night, the moon was an absolute corker'..... Bugger.

No comments:

Post a Comment