Monday 13 June 2016

Common Lizard

I've always wanted to capture a decent shot of a Common Lizard but they're very wary and super fast, the closest I normally get is the rustle of grass and the briefest of glimpses as a tail disappears in to the undergrowth, camera still by my side. All that changed a couple of days ago, whilst out photographing orchids. A beautiful and quite large female was basking away on top of a blanket of reeds, body spread out, maximum exposure to the sun. It was such a good position that I think she wasn't going to move for anybody and I was able to get quite close. No time for a tripod setup as this would've likely spooked her, so a technique whereby you shoot on continuous high was adopted, allowing me to rattle off a number of shots in quick succession. Shooting like this gives me a much greater chance of capturing at least one sharp shot and I would highly recommend it to anyone if a tripod is impractical. The Nikkor 105mm F2.8 macro comes with vibration reduction, and this was invaluable in this instance.  

Common or Viviparous Lizard, Nikon D4 with Nikkor 105mm F2.8 VR Macro lens
Common or Viviparous Lizard

I had recently read a guide book where the lizard was described as having skin that resembled many tiny beads and I think you can clearly see this on the image above, they really are fascinating

 After I had taken a few shots and was satisfied with the results, I left her in piece and carried on with some orchid photography. Walking back along the path an hour or so later, there she was, in exactly the same position, having not moved an inch. What an absolutely beautiful animal. 


No comments:

Post a Comment