Saturday 23 August 2014

A walk around Southwold

I was looking through a folder of old images the other day, when I came across a batch taken at Souhwold in Suffolk, in 2007. 

I remember walking around the working quayside area, where all the boats, old sheds and fishing equipment were to be found. There was so much to shoot, from close up detail images, to large fishing vessels undergoing restoration. I was using my Nikon D200, which was quite new at the time. I think I had owned it for about a year, and I recall being thrilled with its performance. It was solidly built, fast, and produced lovely, contrasty images with bags of colour and detail. I still have the camera now, some eight years after purchase, and I enjoy using it just as much today. Response is relatively pedestrian when compared to the D3s and D4, and high ISO levels are pretty crummy. But the extra reach this camera gives over its full frame siblings, can be a real blessing at times. This isn't a camera I'll be parting with any time soon, even though it doesn't get quite as much use as it once did. As photographers, we all get sucked into this GAS, (gear acquisition syndrome) at some point or another, but I can honestly say, now that I shoot a great deal of street and documentary photography, I realise it's about the camera you have with you at that moment, by your side, not the one you're lusting over buying next.     

Boat restoration, Nikon D200
Boat restoration

Bounty, Nikon D200
Bounty

Little Shed, Nikon D200
Little Shed

Old Tractor, Nikon D200
Old Tractor

No comments:

Post a Comment