Thursday 30 May 2013

Stock

For a number of years now, I have been submitting a wide variety of photographs to various stock agencies. For people who aren't familiar with these companies, they basically allow you to upload your images to their database, where clients can search for, and buy pictures which are needed for their book publications, magazines or websites, (subject to quality control). I have sold numerous images to these sites and most have been fairly run of the mill and not particularly inspiring. I have come to realise that the more ordinary the image, the more likely it is to sell. This goes against everything I have learned to look for as a photographer, and whenever I venture out to take stock photos, I have to bear this in mind. That doesn't mean to say that the image can be poorly exposed or out of focus, just that anything and everything sells. Alamy is my preferred stock agency and they are fantastic. Images sell for good money and they really know how to push your work. They also have an international presence and a news section, where you can upload any breaking news stories.


This rather simple crossword image has so far sold twenty times through various stock agencies, and was shot with my Nikon D200 and Nikkor 105mm F2.8 macro lens on a manfrotto tripod.




I have to confess that this isn't my image, it's my girlfriend Emma's. (Although I did edit it). This has sold three times through Alamy so far, and has netted over $900. Nikon D90 with Nikkor 18-70mm lens. You can follow Emma over on her blog,   www.organdie.wordpress.com


No comments:

Post a Comment